The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was born February 4, 1810, in Dickson County, Tennessee as an outgrowth of the Great Revival of the early 1800s. On February 4, 1810, near what later became Burns, Tennessee in the log cabin home of the Rev. Samuel McAdow, he, the Rev. Finis Ewing and the Rev. Samuel King reorganized Cumberland Presbytery. After rapid growth, Cumberland Presbytery became Cumberland Synod in 1813 and the Cumberland Presbyterian denomination in 1829 when the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was established.
Fairfield Cumberland Presbyterian Church circa 1893
The new church building of this city was dedicated Sunday, August 27. The dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. H. Clay Yates, of Vincennes, Ind. His theme was, “The Supreme Manifestation of God’s Glory is in the Regeneration and Salvation of the World.” This masterly and eloquent discourse was one that only a thinking mind, devoted to years of hard study, was capable of producing. The church is modern in style, and the auditorium and lecture rooms are seated with beautiful assembly chairs. Notwithstanding the fact that money is very scarce just now and that the bulk of the money of this city was inaccessible on account of the failure of the bank, there was raised in cash and in pledges $792.72. [Source: The Cumberland Presbyterian, September 7, 1893, page 5]
DEDICATION AT FAIRFIELD, ILL.
By invitation the writer spent Sunday, October 9th, with that prince of pastors, the Rev. J. T. Coleman, and his people, at Fairfield, Ill., in the dedication of their beautiful, commodious and substantial new house of worship. The day was idea, audiences large and the Holy Spirit’s presence and power was clearly manifest.
Preceding the sermon at the morning hour twelve members were received into the church, making a total of sixty-one since Brother Coleman became the pastor in December of 1919. The subject of the sermon was “Christ the Light and Life of Men,” based upon text found in John 1:4closeJohn 1:4 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. (ESV) closeJohn 1:4closeJohn 1:4 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. (ESV) 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. (ESV) .
At the close of the sermon the chairman of the Building Committee announced that the plant had cost something more than $20,000.00 and that there was a deficit of several thousand to be provided for before the Board of Trustees and Board of Elders could ask that the house be formally dedicated, whereupon the writer took up the task of raising the necessary funds, and the sum of $6,750.00 was raised in cash and subscriptions.
At three o’clock in the afternoon the writer delivered another address, and the Board of Elders asked that the house be then dedicated. In the presence of a full house the ritualistic service found in Blake’s Handbook was read, and the dedicatory prayer was offered by the pastor, and the best and most substantial house of worship in the beautiful city of Fairfield was dedicated as a place of worship for the local Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Fairfield is the county seat of Wayne County, to which Cumberland Presbyterians are to the manor born, since Cumberland Presbyterians were the first to hold religious services in the territory of the county and the first to organize a congregation in the village, which has grown into the city of Fairfield. Besides our own, there are two Methodist churches, two Disciples churches, a Northern Presbyterian church and a Baptist church, with all of which Cumberland Presbyterians are in close co-operation in all things that make for the higher interests of the city and community.
Having held a number of revival meetings in Fairfield years ago, one very pleasant feature of the writer’s visit was the meeting with many of the converts of his meetings who are now the substantial members and workers in the different churches and participating in our own church.
Under the efficient leadership of Brother Coleman the Fairfield congregation is well organized, thoroughly harmonious and in love with their pastor and his interesting family, and we predict for the congregation great usefulness as an instrument in the hands of God for salvation of men and the building up of the kingdom of God. Fairfield is within forty miles of the birthplace of the writer and is now within the bounds of the Ewing-McLin Presbytery, the presbytery in which he served his probation and by which he was ordained to the work of the ministry. But one of the ministers of the presbytery, the now venerable John W. Borah, attended the dedication. We were truly glad to meet Brother Borah, who is an uncle to Senator Borah of the United States Senate and the pastor of the congregation in which the senator was born and raised and in which he still takes an interest.
J. L. HUDGINS.
[Source: The Cumberland Presbyterian, October 20, 1921, page 13]
In 1964, under the leadership of the Rev. Virgil Bailey, the idea of future expansion was again introduced to the congregation. The majority of the congregation voted in favor of relocation, but the Session felt that the majority was too slim to undertake such a venture. Therefore, additional property was purchased east of the church for parking and a new entrance way was constructed on the church in 1965.
In November of 1969, the congregation overwhelmingly approved the purchase of approximately 15 acres of land on Outer West Delaware for future relocation at the cost of $28,000. This property was subdivided and named Cumberland Heights addition to the City of Fairfield. Two streets run through the property being named, Cumberland Drive and Whiteside Lane. Approximately 6 1/2 acres were reserved for the church and the rest divided into 10 lots for homes. One of these lots was reserved for the building of a new manse. (The church has three remaining lots to sell.)
In 1971 the old manse was sold for $12, 250, and a new manse was built valued at $35,000. The old church building at 123 West Main was sold to the Assembly of God Church in 1972 for $35,000. Construction began on the new building and the first service was held February 3, 1974. The Dedication of the new building was October 6, 1974 with special guests, The Rev. David Brown, Moderator of the General Assembly and The Rev. C. Ray Dobbins, editor of the “Cumberland Presbyterian.”